Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Lehigh River (5-Jan-2017)


Cloudy and colder than the previous day I was back to the Lehigh River in the Lehigh Gorge State Park. This time I took the D&L Trail up river to another flood plain I did a lot of work on last year. I found that this wasn't the best area to be working on at this time of year. I think it generally sees less sun than the area I worked on the day prior and there were large sections with snow cover, ice and frozen ground. 


I had to kick this bucket from one of the whitewater companies in order to break it loose from the frozen sand. Too many of these buckets are left in our river! If you care, please contact the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and tell them you want the whitewater companies to pay for the items their patrons leave behind in our rivers!


Someone very kindly bagged up their bottles. If only they took them along when they left. 


The ice along the rivers edge not only made it hard to find trash, but hard to walk as well. 


Even with the less than ideal conditions I still found and was able to remove items. Though I had to leave behind several pieces of footwear frozen into the ground.


Less than the day before, still a good amount for the time of year! 


When I returned home I found it odd that there were no birds at my feeders until I noticed this in one of my trees. It is a Cooper's Hawk. Cooper's Hawks specialize in hunting song birds. If you feed birds in your backyard there is a good chance you will have a Cooper's Hawk stop by from time to time.

See my most updated posts on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment