Monday, July 27, 2015

Delaware River (27-July-2015)


Two full bags of recyclables taken out of Delaware Canal State Park. All of this was collected just below the fish ladder, at the confluence of the Lehigh and Delaware. I have cleaned this area multiple times in the past and I know there are groups that clean this section on occasion as well.  


When I collected today I put cans and bottles all together to make things go a little bit faster. Sorting at home doesn't take long and anything that makes cleaning up go a little faster works for me. 


There is no safe way to get this pile out of there without special tools, so it is still there. I believe the DCNR does clean this out from time to time. Just seeing this amount of trash bothers me. It's even more bothersome not being able to take care of it.


Before and after of a debris pile that is being consumed in green. Left the styrofoam today. There were no trash cans by the parking lot and my recycling does not take styrofoam. So I don't like to pick and choose with the trash I am collecting, but I need places to take what I collect.


You may notice in this before and after set that near the center of the after a lone plastic bottle was left behind. It looked to be filled with used toilet paper, so it will remain there.


When cans are found in areas like this they have to be torn open and washed out. It takes time, but its the only way they can be recycled.


River spatula.


Pulled multiple cans out of trees today the water must have been higher than I expected lately. There was also a lot of clothing items and plastic bags caught on branches. If anyone can find me a place near by this area to deposit non-recyclables I will be happy to got back and get what I left behind.


Took a walk down the canal path after I filled the two bags. In this photo there is one Red-Eared Slider on the left and three Painted Turtles on the right. Red-Eared Sliders are an introduced species that do not belong in our waterways. They are popular in the pet trade and for decades have been released in our streams, rivers, canals and lakes. The problem they pose is they might out compete our native species for resources. If you have Red-Eared Sliders as pets, please keep them, it is illegal to release any reptile or amphibian in PA and you may be harming the populations of turtles that belong here.


Painted turtle drifting down the canal.


Leaving you today with this view across the Lehigh into Easton. My car will be in the shop the next two days so hopefully I will have a new post up on Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment