Thursday, July 30, 2015

Lehigh River (30-July-2015)


Picked up where I left off yesterday on the Lehigh Gap Nature Center property. It turned out to be a quick day. I did find enough non-recyclables to fill a whole bag, but only collected less than half a bag of recyclables. What stopped me today was running out of walkable shoreline. The brush just got too thick and there were no trails. I am happy it worked out this way because I was able to get out of there before the storms came in.


This was the last debris pile I ran into. It was washed up against what I think was an old bridge foundation. Some bottles, mostly footwear and styrofoam.


I think everyone remembers these from elementary school.


It takes a lot of force to do this to one of these paddles. Would have liked to have seen how this happened.


This is the only video game case I have ever found on a shoreline. I hope it is the last.


I know I am repeating myself, because I mentioned this in my last post. I find lots of sandals, river shoes and other footwear on river banks. It is extremely important that if you go on the river you wear old closed toes shoes that can be tied. I gave the example of a torn aluminum can yesterday, but below are two more very good reasons.


This was the third site this year that I have found needles. Wear shoes, you do not want an uncapped one of these stuck in your foot. I placed this in a thick gatorade bottle and the Lehigh Gap Nature Center was nice enough to take it off my hands today. If you find needles while hiking or paddling please inform local law enforcement and ask them to come and remove the item.


I found this knife open just as it is in the photo. I have found multiple knives on river banks and in the river itself. I rarely find them closed. Just another reason I cannot stress enough to wear proper footwear on or near the water.


It was nice to see the trash I collected yesterday was already picked up. Filled up the same can again today.

My next post may not be until Sunday or Monday. I will be out collecting again tomorrow, but I will be away for the weekend and will not have the ability to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment