Friday, May 5, 2017

Glen Onoco Falls Trail (7-Mar-2017)


It was over to Glen Onoco Falls for this trash hike. In my area the falls are a main attraction to tourists and locals alike. They are accessed through the Lehigh Gorge State Park, but are actually on PA State Gamelands. The trails up the falls really are not maintained and there are several areas that are washed out due to heavy usage. On the few trash hikes I have done at the falls since the start of Taking Out the Trash, I have always come back down with full bags. Too many people utilize these trails and too many do not respect the natural world around them, leaving trash where they should only leave footprints. 


Before heading up the trails followed the Lehigh around a bend and to the point where Glen Onoco Run flows into the river. This area too along the lower portion of the run can get pretty trashy as well. 


Most of the items along the lower portion were hidden. Either wedged into cracks between rocks or underneath Rhododendron, that lines the stream sides.  


The entire run is filled with waterfalls. Most venture here to see the large ones towards the top, but I prefer the much more natural looking smaller falls at the bottom. 


There were a lot of dog bags the last time I did this hike too. These I can't just throw in my trash bag. Most dog bags are made of thin plastic that photodegrades somewhat rapidly compared to other plastics. Often the bags are degraded enough they tear apart when picked up. So I have to use another bag, most of the time another dog bag, to pick these up. 


From the bottom I looped back to the main trail and started taking it up. There was recently rain and even this part of the trail was slick on the right rocks. There are warning signs along nearly the entirety of this trail because especially by the falls the trail can get really slick. Since I have lived in the area there have been a number of deaths and several serious injuries here, the warning signs are there for a reason. 


It would be much easier if people just left their trash on the trail, easier still if they just took it out with them. At several spots I had to climb down off of the trail to get items. In a couple places there was trash that I couldn't safely get, so some items that I saw did remain. 


More falls greeted me when the trail connected with the side of the run. Going up I not only had to make sure every step was secure, but I also had to check every space between the rocks for trash. Throughout this section people seem to like to shove their junk between the rocks, hidden mostly out of sight. 


Other items are just thrown up off the side of the trail. Everything I found was pretty common trail trash.


I got around half way up to the top and I ran into some ice patches. I decided it would be best to turn around and come back when conditions are a little more favorable. I did go around this patch and made it up to the falls that can be seen in the background, but this was my turn around point. 


My idea of Nirvana is not plastic bottles in what could be a pristine stream. 


On the way back down I did find some more trash, including this somewhat hidden diaper. I will never understand people who just leave behind diapers and dog bags. Part of being a responsible parent or pet owner is cleaning up after the little critter you are taking care of. 


Even with only making it half way up the falls I removed all of this. All of it too is new since I did a clean-up here last year. If you go to places like Glen Onoco Falls, please respect the area and take your trash out with you. 


I did one more short walk down by the river. I thought I might find some more stuff and I was right. 


A beer bottle and a diaper. Just like the dog bags I also bag the diapers up in an additional bag. 


Not far from the last one was another. 


I would have found this clean-up to almost be enjoyable if it wasn't for the diapers and dog bags. This was everything from the short walk along the Lehigh. Recyclables and trash were bagged separately and I was glad it was garbage night. The non-recyclables went right in the can on the curb when I got home. 

See my most updated posts on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment