Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Appalachian Trail: Lehigh Gap (22-Sept-2016)


Hit the trail in Lehigh Gap and started up the mountain. It has been about a year since my last hike up at this location and I thought there might be an accumulation of trash. Last year there was a lot. There are multiple trails to the top and I started on one that begins right at the parking lot. I found that in some sections it was really overgrown and I only picked up a couple pieces of trash on this portion. 


Last year there was litter strewn about these rocks and on this trip I found nothing. This was still on a portion of the overgrown trail and I didn't know what to expect ahead. This is also where the views of the Lehigh River and Valley start getting good. 


What little trash I did find on the way up, weren't the easiest items to get, like this Gatorade bottle someone threw back into Green Briar. 


When I connected with another one of the trails there still wasn't much trash to be found and it was starting to get hot.


The views on this hike really are some of the best around. Looking down river on the Lehigh. I have paddled all of the sections of the river that can be seen in these photos. The view to me brings back many memories of my trash collecting river trips. 


Looking up river towards Carbon County. At this point I started to find a few more items, mostly  water bottles and cans. 


I checked out a few of the areas around the top that in the past were a mess. Found some stuff, but it wasn't bad at all. 


It got a bit too hot out on the rocks and I started heading down. Took a different trail back to the lot and along it I found the most trash of the day.


Compared to other hikes this one didn't yield much trash at all. I am sure others, like hiking clubs have worked to keep this area clean. I will be going back to hit other trails that I missed on this trip and to go further up the mountain to see the conditions. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment