Thursday, September 15, 2016

Recycling Day! (8-Sept-2016)


Since July 7th I had accumulated a good amount of recyclables. A recycling day was well overdue. My car needed a minor repair and while I was waiting to get it back I decided it was time for a recycling sort. Had around twenty bags to go through and I knew it was going to take me awhile. 


As always on my recycling days I sorted out the plastic bottles, plastic jugs, aluminum cans, oil containers and glass bottles. 


It took around five hours to get all of the bags sorted and all of the items counted.


In total there ended up being 2,828 recyclable items collected since July 7th. 1,282 plastic bottles, 1,258 aluminum cans, 245 glass bottles, 39 plastic milk/tea jugs and 4 plastic oil containers. This brought this years total to 12,536 recyclable items this project has removed from our waterways and natural areas here in Eastern Pennsylvania. 



This does not included recyclables collected on the Wildlands Conservancy clean-ups or the clean-ups I have done in Montgomery County. Wildlands properly disposed of the recyclables on their trips and the recyclables collected in Montgomery County were disposed of their due to me not wanting to possible transport a non-native insect pest that has been discovered in that area. I also have to thank Leigh Ann Stratakos, Tyler Sacks, Jeffrey Greco and Andrew Curtis, all who have helped with clean-ups since July 7th. 

I think 12,536 is a pretty good number of recyclables removed from our waterways and natural areas so far this year, but there is always more to be done. The clean-ups will continue!

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment