Thursday, September 15, 2016

Lehigh River: Lehighton to the Turnpike (2-Sept-2016)


Hit the D&L Trail just down river of Leighton for this trip. The goal was to walk down the D&L to the turnpike bridge and then head down to the river to a spot where items often wash up in high water. We haven't had many rain events this summer, but the releases from Francis E. Walter Dam raise the river enough even this far down to deposit trash at this particular site. 


On the way down the trail I did not find much trash on the trailside, however, I did find a good amount of caterpillars. This time of year, heading towards fall, is when I tend to find the greatest diversity and abundance of caterpillars. Part of the reason this post is delayed was in me trying to find a good identification guide so I could label these little critters in the post. I have been unsuccessful in doing so, I can tell you these are caterpillars, three moth and one sawfly and that is about all. The sawfly is the one above on the right. 


If you know your caterpillars and would be willing to id these you can send me a message or comment on the post. 


Down along the river this debris pile held the most trash of the day. Multiple bottles, a couple cans and three whitewater buckets. 


Even found what some would call a river snack. Unopened peanuts and and unopened Lord Chesterfield Ale. Mmmm... mmm... I would never suggest eating a river snack if you find one. 


I found this caterpillar in a small Birch Tree near the river. It was odd enough I thought I could easily identify it. I believe it is a Slug Caterpillar from the genus Apoda. I could not find a way to identify it to species though. This will eventually develop into a moth. 


Some older washed up items that had been on the bank for awhile. Must have missed these on my last trip down. 


With a bag and a pack full it was time to hoof it back up the D&L.


Removed a fair amount of trash. Nothing of particular interest and all common river finds. I realized when writing this I just did a post of a river clean-up and didn't include one photo of the river. Will try to make sure that doesn't happen again. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment