Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Beltzville State Park (22-July-2016)


After Bake Oven Knob the previous day I wanted to do a much easier clean-up. I thought about what was around and what trails could use another cleaning and I decided on the Christman Trail at Beltzville State Park. It has a couple attractions on the trailside like the waterfall above and because of this is frequented by visitors, which too often leads to trash.


I hit the trail with only a pack and the intention of completing the full loop on the Christman Trail. It didn't take long for me to start finding trash and my plan soon changed.


Like most places if you stay focused only on the trail you don't see much garbage at all. However if you peer over an edge or look closely in the brush you will start seeing a lot of things that shouldn't be there. 


Taking some side trails I looped down around the falls. In this area I found one of my least favorite trash items and not just one. The first diaper was the one on the left wedged in between a log and a tree. I only had my pack on me so I was going to leave it. Then not far away I found the grocery bag on the right which contained another diaper. I took that back to the first, found a stick, picked up the first with it and plopped it into the bag and tied it off. After doing a quick sweep below the falls I headed back up to the Christman Trail.


I diverted off the trail once again to another problem area. Often there is a rope swing above the rocks in this photo. This area is a hang out and many times when I come here this little cove is full of beer cans and soda bottles. This time is wasn't that bad, but I still found an assortment of items.


On top of the rocks there was even more. Even this wasn't as bad as it can be. 


 This was everything from around the top of the rocks. The items on the left were out in the open, the items on the right were in the surrounding brush. These two piles topped off my pack and I decided to head back to the car instead of completing the full loop. I had all I could carry and to me it is just depressing finding a lot of trash and not being able to take it out. 


So this was the haul for the day. Over a packs worth with the diaper bag. I disposed of the non-recyclables in a can at another access for the park and took the recyclables with me. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment