Sunday, July 31, 2016

Locust Lake State Park (30-July-2016)


Just as I was getting ready to set out for a river trip the skies grew dark and thunder echoed from above. That quickly made me change my mind about the river and instead I headed over to Locust Lake State Park for a hike and clean-up. I thought the storms would just pass by and I wouldn't be in the rain that long. I was wrong about that. I started my hike off as I usually do at Locust Lake, parking in the visitor lot and heading down the paved road to the lake. On the way down I did something different though. I walked up what I thought was just a turn around for park vehicles and instead it turned out to be an old access road. Having never known it was there it peeked my interest and I started up the road. 


Older bottles were the first trash items I found. These were not far up the trail and with finding them I thought there might be a lot more along this road.


At the places I left the road to pick up trash I noticed that there were a lot of fungus popping up. This surprised me. I thought it was too dry lately. I believe this this particular species is Monotropa uniflora, commonly called Indian Pipe, I could be wrong though. 


There was trash here and there off the side of the trail, no big piles. This was the most trash I found in one place that could fit into frame. Three pieces, that's all. I like these kind of hikes. Just a pack works for hauling out the trash and it is nice to know the area will probably stay clean for some time. 


There were a few Coral Fungus like this around and a variety of other fungal species that did not photograph well in the rain. I do not know the specific species for this Coral Fungus. 


The oldest find of the trip. I haven't looked up the age yet, it definitely predates me though. 


Through this section I started finding golf ball after golf ball on the road. I knew there was a country club close, but where it is doesn't match up with where I found these. They definitely came from higher up on the mountain. Someone might just be practicing and thinks its a good idea to hit them into the state park. If so that really isn't cool.  


Just a few of what I picked up along the road. 


At the top of the mountain I took game trails down. I expected to run into one of the parks trails on the far side of the lake from the entrance, that never happened though. I ended up coming out in the campground. On the decent I saw many Red Efts walking around the forest floor. As I have stated in previous posts, Red Efts are the juvenile stage of the Red-Spotted Newt. The Red Eft dwells on land where the adult stage if fully aquatic. 


Before returning to my car I walked around the lake. By this point every bit of me was soaked, my glasses were fogged and I could hardly see more than the trail. If there was trash along the path I had no way of knowing it. 


After three hours of hiking in a constant downpour I didn't even have a full pack. I did get to see a new area of the park I had never been too before. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment