Saturday, July 30, 2016

Lehigh River: Lehigh Gap (29-July-2016)


The original plan for today was to get down to the lower Lehigh around Allentown and Bethlehem. I just didn't have time to do so. Instead I went with Lehigh Gap and I was glad I changed my plans. Lehigh Gap really needed some help. I put in at the launch just below the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, paddled across and then up river along the bank. 


The trip started with the normal plastic bottles and other watersport related trash washed up on the bank. 


These items were all washed down from the expressway above. Like Beltzville the other day, there was no catch designed for the drainage into the river. I just want everyone to be aware of this. Trash from our roads can flow directly into our waterways during rain events. At this point I was sure I was going to leave the river with a boat full of trash, but I couldn't have imagined what was to come. 


This was the second day in a row a Green Heron stuck around for a photo. This is one of the joys of cleaning up our rivers and lakes. They are just a magnificent bird. 


This was also the second day in a row I found a beer can with a properly labeled fish on it. This again is a fish not found in the waterbody I was on, at least it is educational in some way. 


When I put in the water I met a father and sun that were also taking their kayaks out. They had paddled up river ahead of me and I eventually caught up with them at a rope swing. As I was passing they informed me the area above the rope swing on the bank was trashed. I got out and found that they weren't kidding. It was a mess. They even offered to help me clean this up. I said thanks for the offer, but they should enjoy their day. This pile was pretty disgusting. Most of the beer cans still contained some beer and the smell was not in the least bit pleasant. It took me a little over an hour to pick everything out of this fire pit, crush all the cans and sort out all of the non-recyclables. There was even a raft in there that was partially burned. 


When I was done it still wasn't perfect, I removed just about everything, I didn't go as far as picking out all of the small half burnt items though. I then did a sweep around the area. Cans and a few bottles were strewn everywhere. This was the worst party site I have come across on the Lehigh so far. 


I think this is what draws the partiers. I did not take the flag down, I probably should have. It will end up in the river and it shouldn't. It is not patriotic to mount an American Flag on a riverbank where it will not be maintained. 


With the site cleaned up I had to then load everything onto my kayak. This wasn't the easiest feats. The bank here is man-made and steep, all hand laid rock. The water is deep and is close to a strait drop down at the edge. Some how I managed and was able to get back in without getting soaked. 


With my boat just about filled I started heading back to the launch only making a few stops for some cans. 


With everything unloaded from the kayak I still had time to waste. I threw away the non-recyclables and loaded the rest in my car. Grabbed another trash bag and set back out on the water for a second round. 


This time I headed down river. Last year I found that many items would get caught up on the left side of the river here where water flows into the old canal system. I went down river right and then looped back to the left. 


Seven Spicebush Swallowtails were getting a drink on the shore. I often see small congregations like this on sandy banks on the riverside. 


It may be hard to see. There is a Solitary Sandpiper near the center of the photo. The can was removed from the bank. 


A look back towards Lehigh Gap. 


This area is a popular fishing site. There is trash here on almost every paddle I make through this area. I cleaned it up again and decided to call it a day. 


The second round did not yield as much as the first, still something though. 


With both rounds I took out more trash than I anticipated I would find in this section and I had really hoped to cover more ground on this paddle. I will be back out on the river this weekend and this coming week I will make sure to get out on the lower Lehigh!

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment