Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Nescopeck State Park (29-June-2016)


Took to the trails at Nescopeck State Park. Haven't been to this park since the winter and was wondering how clean it would be. 


There ended up being more wildlife along the trails that trash, something I am always happy to see. A Juvenile Green Frog is on the left and a Red Eft stage Red-Spotted Newt on the right. 



With it being such a hot day I tried my best to stick to the trails closest to the streams. Here beavers have turned one of the smaller creeks into a nice sized pond. 


If you are out hiking around any water source at this time of year be mindful of turtles laying eggs or hatchlings emerging from eggs laid last year. I came across two Painted Turtles digging nests right on the trails and one nest that hatchlings had recently emerged from. The remnants of the turtle egg shells are on the right.


It was slim pickings for trash, most of the trails were spotless and the streams were not too bad either.  Things can always be found though if you look hard enough.


In a couple places I was able to cover both sides of the streams. I stuck to the paths though so I had to skip some portions. What a beautiful area though. 


One of the many shallow ponds throughout the park. 


This was all for trash. Why can't all of our parks have this little. 


This buck was on the trailside and didn't seem to mind too much that I was there. For a time I stood and watched as it went between eating and watching me.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment