Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Tuscarora State Park (31-July-2016)


With all of the rain the day before and threw the night I thought it best to stay off the river. Instead it was back to Tuscarora State Park for a paddle and clean-up around the lake. The conditions were perfect, sunny, yet not too hot. 


Paddling the edge of the lake down towards the dam I wasn't finding much other than bobbers. The fishing spots that normally have a mess were either occupied or clean.


Just before the dam I did find one spot that had several bait containers and beer bottles. I did not take any photos because it was a tricky out and in with the kayak. The above is what I found when I made it to the dam. Again a few bait containers, but not much, at least in this corner where the trash normally accumulates. 


This Lunamoth forewing was resting on the surface. Several times now I have found larger moth wings in these areas next to dams. I know it isn't a whole specimen, but even finding remnants like this can tell you what types of species are in the area. 


A lure that had floated down towards the dam. Wasn't the only one found on this trip. I am really accumulating a collection of these. 


This was nearly full. The ingredients of sunscreen can be detrimental to certain ecosystems and I often find bottles like this in our waterways. Eventually the contents will leak out. With this in mind if you ever find a sunscreen bottle like this in a lake, river or stream, please remove it and dispose of it properly.


From the dam I worked my way up the lake. There were a lot of people at the beach area and paddling the upper portion of the lake. I made the decision to only go half way up. I crossed the lake to the opposite shore at one of my least favorite spots on the lake. 


I just cleaned this area last week. Even from a distance I could see it needed to be cleaned up again. I was just smiling when I was picking up the bait containers and other stuff this time. What else can I do. 


This is the third time I have found these types of beer cans. Each time it seems the fish on them are getting closer to what is actually found in the waterbodies I am cleaning up. The first was an ocean fish, the second was a fish that spends a portion of its life in saltwater and a portion in fresh and now this one is completely freshwater and is pretty close to the native trout we have around here. Again at least this trash has some kind of environmental education on it. 


This was the haul for half the lake. The majority was trash from fishermen. I know many fishermen who wouldn't leave anything behind, but there are many who do. If you are out fishing and your fishing hole is a mess, please pick it up and say something to others that you see leaving things behind. 


I did find these two sand shovels as well. They were in the front of my boat and I forgot to pull them out for the ending trash photo. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment