Monday, February 22, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (22-Feb-2016)


Walking out there was still a chill in the air, but the temperature rose fairly fast and turned out to be a spectacular sunny day. On the trailside I did find a couple water bottles that had been left since my last visit. I also was able to retrieve two more that I had seen previously, but I didn't feel comfortable trying to get at the time. 


Stopped at this structure as well. This was in one of my previous posts and I didn't take anything out before because everything looked to be frozen in the water inside. The water was still frozen today, most of the plastic bottles though were not stuck in it. I was not able to get all of the trash out of there, but it was a start. Again, this is not a trash receptacle I wish it wasn't used as one.


Since my last visit on February 8th, there was heavy rains and high water. Much of the flood plain had changed slightly and all signs of me being there last time were gone. I had picked a similar debris pile clean in the exact same place on that last trip and this one with new items I did the same. 


I chose a different route this time and as expected I started finding items right away. I think had I taken the same route as the last visit I still would have found items, because like I said everything had changed slightly. This means more cans could be exposed or could have washed down into that same area. 


This isn't the type of place most people would like to walk through. It is thick with new tree growth and in some places the easiest route is crawling through. I do not cut paths through areas like this, I don't feel that would be right. It can be hard maneuvering with Penny on a leash, a pack on my back and a garbage bag full of trash, but it offers a challenge. The challenge being getting through this with all of that and not doing any damage other than footprints that will be washed away. 


I call areas like this cuts and they are similar to small streams that cut through the floodplain. I don't think cut is the proper term, but it will work for this blog. They are ever changing as well. One high water event may create a new cut, washing the plant life and sediments away. Another could deposit a large amount of debris in a cut creating a small dam that eventually causes sediments to settle in behind it in following high water events. The cans in this photo could very well have been buried the last time I was through the area. Had they been left they might have been again. I love the fact I can go to the same place time and time again and something is different every time I go.


On the left is something I spotted in the side of one of the cuts. On the right is the object with a couple cans. Not only are they snorkel goggles, but they also have official safety lens! I know someones going to be e-mailing me wanting them.


This is the unmovable shoe. I gave all I had into trying to pull it from the ground. There has to be a root going through it someplace. It just wouldn't budge at all. Around the time I found this I had found another shoe and was tapping it to remove all of the sediment from inside. All of a sudden I hear "This is Horrible!" yelled out in a somewhat angry tone. I turned around and looked up the at the D&L Trail to see a biker towing a cart full of stuff behind him. Don't think he knew I was there or that anyone heard him yell. When I walked up to the trail later, I think I found his issue. The trail is wet, soggy and anything with weight sinks in and a bike would slow down. My guess is he was just having a miserable time peddling through it. 


Most of the cans are spread out. This spot had the largest grouping of the day. Almost all of the whole cans today had to be emptied of sediments.


Penny was pretty good and didn't bark too much when we stopped in places that had a bunch of items to pick up. Currently she is passed out and snoring on the couch, I think the hike wore her out. 


Two pieces of trash I had never come across before this hike. I know the can on the right is some kind of soup that resembles chicken noodle, yet there was not a single thing aside from numbers that I could read on the entire thing. Only an edge of the small Smint container was poking out of the sediment, the red caught my eye. I looked up Smints when I got home and they look to be popular in other parts of the world, but not so much in the US.


When I did the sort and end photo, I had several people come over and check it out. The Glen Onoco access was busy for a winter Monday. The thank you's I received were nice and I was glad to be done for the day. With the lens I had on I couldn't get a decent shot of all of the trash and that's why I added these close-ups at the end. 


Non-recyclables today included, footwear, eyewear, a plastic grill to a truck, a portion of a back of an old computer monitor, assorted other thick plastics, an empty plastic bag of rock salt, a popped rubber football and a beat up metal dog bowl. 


All that was new on with the recyclables side was what I think is a thick plastic attachment to a Wood Duck/Screech Owl box. This I am going to try to find a new home for. The purpose of it would be to prevent critters like squirrels from chewing on and expanding the entrance hole to the box. My goal for the day was to collect an entire trash bag full of cans. I came close, but didn't make it because of all of the other items I picked up. I will be back at this location again soon. I think I can still take out at least one more garbage bag full at this specific floodplain.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment