Wednesday, February 24, 2016

State Gamelands (24-Feb-2016)


The cold rain stuck around, but I had a much better day than yesterday. When I turned my car on the heat worked! I was ecstatic, on a day like this one it really is needed. The heat did kick off again half way to my destination, it came back again though and remained on the rest of the trip. I ended up going back to Beltzville Lake again. As I have pointed out in previous posts there at many accesses around the lake, both state park and state gamelands. I have been to every state park access, but there are still a couple gamelands I haven't stopped at yet. The one I visited on this trip was new to me. It was just a small lot and I wasn't expecting much. Every time I do that, I always find a lot of trash. 


I began cleaning up the parking lot before heading out on a hike. I found these piles of dumped tires and other stuff. Without anywhere to go with them, they had to stay. So many people are illegally dumping it is unbelievable. From what I have seen lately in this area it is getting worse. This should not be a problem anymore and it is a major one. If you see someone illegally dumping items, please contact local law enforcement. 


This is what I was able to take from around the lot. I have to admit I didn't do as good of a job as I normally would have. It was cold, raining and miserable. This was more of a dash for trash and get on the trail. 


All of the gamelands in this area are similar. Almost all have at least one planted pine row, fields and a small patch of deciduous trees on the side. I worked my way around the edge and down to the lake.


Picked up a few items along the field edge, but the majority of trash I collected on this hike was along the lakeside.


The ice keeps retreating on the lake and I hope soon all of it will be gone. The trash around the lake was the regular. Anyone use powerbait? The one in this photo was nearly full.


More of the same. 


For some people this might be a little graphic. This two liter Sprite bottle was nearly full with a brownish liquid. When I started pouring it out the smell was unmistakable and I knew there were dead mammals in it. Whenever an item like this is thrown out with an open top animals can get in them. They may be going in because they smell something that they think they can eat or they could just go in seeking shelter. Many times the critters can't get out and the open container acts as a trap. In this case two rodents found there way into this Sprite bottle and most likely drown. It is a horrible death that didn't need to occur.


I love walking through these old planted groves of pines. There are many in the area on public lands that once were tree farms. Not much life is seen in these groves, but it is peaceful and on a rainy day like this one it was dry. 


I had more than filled my pack and I was soaking wet. From this point it was back to the car and the items I picked up on the way back I just had to carry. 


The second pile of the day. Surpassed what I collected around the lot. I will have to revisit this area soon. There are a couple sites I need to get back to around Beltzville, I will be waiting for days with better conditions to do so. I hurried through this post tonight. The temperature is right and I want to get out tonight to see if any amphibians are out on the move! I know it is early, but I am hopeful. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment