Friday, December 9, 2016

Beltzville State Park (20-Nov-2016)


It was a dramatic change in temperature from the day before. A cold day with light rain in the air and I decided to go work on another section of the lakebed at Beltzville State Park. There is an unbelievable amount of trash that can be removed now that the lake is at lower levels. I know I am only going to be able to cover a small portion of it all, but every little bit does help. 


When I first got down to the lake, I could hear a Belted Kingfisher on the opposite side of the cove I was in. It landed next to the waters edge and I was able to snap this photo of it. 


On the lakes edge, just above the normal water line there were the usual items. Bottles, plastics and one of these...


Another diaper. I have found too many of these this year. Beltzville is one of the areas that I have frequented that has had a lot of them. I believe I have found one now at every access of the DCNR access to the lake and at some of the Game Commission accesses as well. 


After walking half the channel, I hit a portion of the main lake. I was really starting to get cold and I didn't go too much further past this point. 


I also didn't pick up too many items in this area. There were a few items, but everything was pretty spread out here and it didn't seem like much actually get caught up in this area. 


Penny is with me on almost every single hiking clean-up. I do pick up after her and I have never felt the need to toss her waste in a little plastic bag off of the trail or place it along the trail for others to pick up. I find dog bags along trailsides in many places, this is one left atop a coal waste deposit station. I don't know why people find this acceptable, they are still leaving their dog waste behind and they have added to it by also littering with plastic.


I had only taken my backpack with me and completely filled it. I will be back again soon to work on more of the lakebed before it fills up again!
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment