Saturday, December 31, 2016

State Gamelands (23-Dec-2016)


This wasn't a short hike, but it will be a short post. I stopped at a gamelands in Schuylkill County near Tuscarora State Park. Much of the area still had a coating of snow, but there were patches especially around the field areas that were clear. I decided that since most of the trashy areas on the field edges were covered I would spend my time hunting left behind plastic shell casings in the fields. 


On one field edge I was looking for a sparrow that I saw fly into the brush and this Hermit Thrush came popped up to take a look at me.


Taking a short diversion away from the fields and my search I took a walk through a fairly large pine grove. There I got to see this Red-breasted Nuthatch. Most years I hardly ever see a Red-Breasted Nuthatch. This year I have seen them in multiple locations and one is even currently frequenting my feeders at home. 


I didn't collect as many shells as I had hoped and there was little other trash that could be seen. If you are not a hunter and spend time on Pennsylvania's State Gamelands like I do, please take the time to at least pick up a few pieces of trash. Hunter's paid for this land by purchasing their licenses, those of us who don't hunt should at least respect their land and do something to benefit it and the wildlife that resides on it. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment