Saturday, December 31, 2016

Beltzville State Park (8-Dec-2016)


Beltzville, Beltzville, Beltzville, there is so much ground to cover at Beltzville. This was a cold day and I did not pick well as far as sites go. Had I thought about it a little more I would have picked an area where the sun was shining down away from the wind. The first section I started working on was along the Bauer Creek Channel in the shade. I did pick well as far as trash goes though. 


As soon as I got down to the lakeside I started finding trash and it didn't end until I took the trail out. The thing that killed me the most about this site was that every time I looked across the channel I could see the sun hitting what looked to be a nice warm bank on the other side.


One nice thing about the water being low, other than the access to the lakebed, is that I can get into the brush on the side that I can't work my kayak into when I am on the water at normal levels. There is a lot of trash tucked into these spots.


Added some lures to my collection. The one on the left was added, the one on the right was thrown. I did not know that spoons sometimes had applied stickers, I thought most were still painted.


Can you spot the syringe? I am sure this was thrown into the creek further upstream and floated down. The person who threw it in probably had no cares when he or she did, but it is something that you should care and think about. This is on the upper end of the lake flowing in. The current goes towards the beach area. Syringes can be found anywhere now, especially if you have children take note of this. I am sick of finding them.


This one was collected and disposed of in a manner directed by a PA Fish and Boat Commission Officer. If you happen to find any the best thing to do is contact local law enforcement and have them tell you their preferred method of disposal. I have been told different things from different agencies. 


This flat was the last section I worked on. Many items, some newer, some old, all had some degree of mud in or on them.


On the tree line I found the chair and I had a full pack so it was time to start heading back. 


Found this just into the tree line on my way out. It was given to Tyler Sacks who has helped out with other clean-ups. He has since built an all wood bottom to it and made a trash barge for his little brother. Another item that has a new life and although this one needed new parts, all of which are biodegradable. 


I found the nearest trash can and did my sort. I left the chair and the non-recyclables. Everything else was loaded in my car. Another trash adventure at Beltzville was complete!
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment