Friday, December 9, 2016

Recycling Day! (18-Nov-2016)


I had been wanting to do a recycling day for a couple weeks. The conditions have to be right, with no chance of rain or wind. Finally I got a nice clear day and piled everything in the yard for the sort. There were 14 bags, one sack and a bin full of items to sort through and count, all of which was collected since my last recycling day on September 8th. 


Since I started doing these recycling sorts I have come up with a couple tricks to quicken the process. Not stopping for as many photos is one of them. The process still takes a lot of time though and with the shorter days I still wasn't sure I would finish before the sun went down. Luckily it did go fairly quick and it was just getting dark when I took the last load down to the recycling center.


In total on this sort I had 3,243 recyclable items. This broke down to 1,625 aluminum cans, 1,190 plastic bottles, 388 glass bottles, 30 plastic jugs, 6 plastic oil containers and 4 steel cans. 


The grand total for the year now stands at 15,779 recyclable items this project has taken out of our waters and off of our trails here in Eastern PA. I have not done all of this alone and have had help on multiple clean-ups from Leigh Ann Stratakos, Tyler Sacks and Jeffery Greco throughout the year. The clean-ups will continue and I am pretty sure I will at least top 16,000 removed recyclable items by the end of the year! 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment