Friday, March 17, 2017

Beltzville State Park (18-Jan-2017)


With most of the snow from the 14th melted away it was time to get back to taking out some trash! I invited Stephen Kloiber along on this trip. I know I have mentioned Mr. Kloiber in previous posts, he knows his stuff when it comes to birds and moths. Hopefully this summer he can help me with some moth posts on here. We started at the Pine Run Boat Launch and did a short walk around. Common Loons, like the one above were the only waterfowl on this portion of the lake.  


The water level was still down so we did collect some things from the lakebed. Didn't find much this time, but did add a lure to my collection. 


We then walked the field above the launch. I am always happy to have someone along that can readily identify birds. This is a Cooper's Hawk, although I have seen many Coops, I still would have had to look it up, Kloiber knew what it was immediately. 


This was all we collected from around the fields. I hope the large rubber base to a road sign will be used again by the DCNR, it was placed next to and not in one of the trash cans. 


We then headed below the dam and did the loop around the Sawmill Trail. There we found the most trash of the day. At the end of the loop we had the Bald Eagle in the above photo flying over the parking area. 


Everything from the Sawmill Trail loop. Surprisingly we didn't see hardly any other birds on the hike.  Generally I at least see some in this area. 


We made one final stop back at the lake and Kloiber spotted a Muskrat swimming across the lake. This was the second one he spotted, but the only of the two I got okay photos of. 


It swam right into shore and didn't seem to mind that we were standing not that far away. 


This was the last bit of trash we picked up from another section of the lakebed. Thank you Stephen for coming along on this trip and pointing out and identifying some of the wildlife I probably would have missed.

See my most updated posts on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment