Friday, March 17, 2017

Lehigh River (13-Jan-2017)


With another nice day, I decided to head back to the Lehigh and continue on working up the floodplain towards Lehighton. What a change since the day before when I couldn't even see across the river due to the fog. 


When I got to where I had left off I started right away picking through the debris piles. As I have said in numerous posts, debris piles aren't safe. If you decide to do a river clean-up it is best not to walk on them. Most are unstable, can contain nails, syringes or other sharp objects and in the summer often have paper wasps nesting in them.


It didn't take long before I had a small pile and I started to realize that there would have to be more trips to this spot to get everything out. 


More river debris, more trash. Often the top and sides of floodplains look like this and the top of islands too.


With a pack, a sack and a bucket full of trash it was time to head back to the car. Penny was fed up with this clean-up. She enjoys the walks by the river, but when I am picking through the piles she is leashed to a tree and she doesn't like to stay still. 


The haul for the day. Non-recyclables on the right went into the trash cans near the D&L Trail access point and as always the recyclables were loaded into my car. It was a good amount of trash to take out on foot, but there was still much more to remove from this site.


Before leaving I spotted these Common Mergansers on the other side of the river. The only wildlife on this clean-up I had to snap a shot, even though they were pretty far away. 


See my most updated posts on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment