Thursday, April 13, 2017

Beltzville State Park (14-Feb-2017)


Most of the area surrounding my house was still covered in snow. I did a hike earlier in the day at Tuscarora State Park and there was still a couple inches on the ground. I found in the past couple years that Beltzville State Park is one of the first places where the snow melts, so for the afternoon I headed over there for a short clean-up.


With the water levels still down I was able to walk the edges of the lake that normally wouldn't be accessible. It was the normal items cans, a diaper, etc. 


On the way back I cut through the picnic area and found this. These containers are for hot ashes, not trash. There are plenty of trash receptacles around the picnic area and leaving your trash in one of these is just lazy. I took out all of the non-biodegradable items and left paper plates and food waste.


This was the haul for this short walk. I find it unbelievable how much trash is left around Beltzville. Why do so many find it acceptable just to leave their stuff behind? 


Yellow-bellied Sapsucker from a hike at Tuscarora State Park earlier in the day. Sapsuckers drill out holes, which form horizontal lines on a tree. They then return to these lines of holes to lap up sap that slowly drains out of them. 

See my most updated posts on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment