Thursday, April 20, 2017

Lehigh River (24-Feb-2017)


On this trip I set out to finish up on the flood plain just below Lehighton. I knew there were some areas like the small islands I couldn't get to, but I was going to get everything I could on this trip. I parked near the entrance to the D&L Trail and walked up river to the spots I had previously been working on. 


The first stop was in a small area below the Mahoning Creek. I had already gone through this spot, but I only did along the rivers edge. From the road I could see a pile of stuff and started with that. Some of the items looked like they were bags thrown down from the roadway, others like plastic bottles looked like they were deposited a long time ago during a flood. 


It isn't everyday you find a dog bowl, but over the years I have found more than one. In addition to this bowl and plastic bottles, the first stop yielded a lot of packing material and some bows. It looked like someone after Christmas or a Birthday bagged up all of the waste and threw it down by the river. 


With just about a full bag, I decided to dispose of this before heading further on up the river to my main destination. There was a lot more at this first stop than I could see from the road. 


The non-recyclables went in the trash can I collected the day before and left near other cans at the D&L entrance. The recyclables were loaded into my car and it was back up the road and back for more river trash!


The second stop was above the Mahoning Creek. The photo above is the bottom of the floodplain. I had already removed the trash through this section and had to walk up to the top of this area. 


On this day I was determined to remove this kids vehicle. I had let it go the past couple times through the area because of its size. This was the day it needed to go though. 


Sometimes trash makes me laugh and not in a good way. I did so when I read the label on this crate saying it was made of all recycled materials. It made me think to myself, I am recycling all of the plastic bottles I find, just so they can be turned into a different product someone else will throw back into the river. It is a horrible cycle that needs to be broken in our society. We need less disposable items and a much greater conservation ethic. 


Second day in a row I found an unopened Pabst. It really does seem to be the beer of choice on the Lehigh River. I don't care if people drink on the water as long as they take their waste along with them. Too many don't. 


The rest of my time in this area was spent picking through small debris piles. There wasn't a whole lot left in this area after the previous clean-ups. 


This was everything I had to haul out. It wasn't that bad after I made it up to the road. I was able to wheel the kids car on two wheels and the crate fit in the trash bag. 


Everything from the second round. This completed the clean-up of this area and it should be good at least until the next flood. The small islands are still a mess, but there isn't any way to get to them until I start getting out on the water in a boat. 


Before going to do the Lehigh clean-up I made two quick stops at Mauch Chunk Lake. Signs of spring were in the air, water and popping up out of the ground. Above a Red-winged Blackbird is calling atop a Cattail. This species arrives early in spring and the males pick territories. When nesting some Red-winged Blackbirds will fiercely protect their territory. I have seen males dive and hit both humans and dogs that got too close to their nest site. 


The first turtle of the year! This painted turtle was basking not far from the observation blind. I think I also spotted the head of a Red-eared Slider poking out of the water, but couldn't get a good enough photo to id it for sure. 


Another first for me for the year! Skunk cabbage was finally rising from the ground. A sure sign that spring is on its way. 

See my most updated posts on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment