Thursday, April 13, 2017

Tuscarora and Locust Lake State Park (15-Feb-2017)


Went back to Tuscarora for a hike. With snow on the ground and more falling, I knew I wasn't going to find trash, but I did see this Northern Harrier Hunting over the fields. To me this was one of the greatest experiences of the winter. I ducked back into the tree line and just watched. There were a couple times when the Harrier flew by really close and either didn't know I was there or didn't feel I was a threat.  


In this shot the Harrier is preparing to dive for prey. There were several times it did go below the grasses, but I never saw it come up with anything. Eventually it landed in the field and I lost sight of it. It may have caught something and stayed on the ground feeding. 


Made a quick stop at a nearby gamelands where this Black-capped Chickadee was feeding on Staghorn Sumac. 


Passing back by the field the Harrier was in on my way to Locust Lake, I spotted this Red-tailed Hawk on a line. I wonder which bird of prey is better at hunting these fields.


The snow was still coming down at Locust Lake State Park. There wasn't as much snow cover as Tuscarora and that allowed me to find some trash. 


I took the easy path around the lake and stoped at several of the lake accesses. 


This was something new. 


Didn't pick up all that much, but I have been to Locust several times in the past couple months. 


Picked up a couple more items after taking the photo above this one. 

See my most updated posts on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment