Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Appalachian Trail (15-March-2016)


I was busy during the day and the sun was starting to go down by the time I was able to get out. With that in mind I decided to check up on the Appalachian Trail near Little Gap. The last time I was there snow still blanketed the mountain top. The trail looked much different this evening and not just because the snow has long since melted. Small trees and brush had been cut over two petroleum pipelines that cross over the AT in this section. The one pictured above has never looked like this since I first started visiting this site over ten years ago. This used to be one of my best places for finding certain caterpillars. I guess I am going to have to find some new places until this grows in again.  


There was not much trash on this hike, but I did find some of the regular items. I am happy that this area has stayed relatively clean. I know the summer and people partying here will change that, but it was nice to go on a hike with so little trash.


The sights produced by the setting sun were the greatest aspect of the evening. 


This was my favorite.


Pretty far in on the trail and after the sun had set I did find Spring Peepers at a vernal pond on top of the mountain. Their chorus filled the air, such loud songs from very tiny creatures. 


My headlamp helped me spot a couple things that I missed on the way in. 


Not a large amount of trash, but it was a good hike and a section of the AT is clean.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment