Monday, March 21, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (21-Mar-2016)


For the most part I took the weekend off. I did do a very small clean-up around Locust Lake State Park, it really wasn't anything to write about. Was ready to get back out today, I didn't want to over do it though. I did not take any bags with me and I was just going to try for a tire or two. 


Walking the bank I found a couple more pairs in the drink. There were also couple I previously missed on land. I walked the same area I ended on last week and I did take a different knife to try to remove the one tire with the larger tree growing inside. I still wasn't able to cut it out and it dulled the knife.


I also found a couple tires I didn't see last time. It is easy in these areas to pass by things even as large as a tire. This one I was able to remove, but two others in the area are pinned down by old railroad ties. Not sure how to go about removing those.


Using my dulled knife I took this structure and plastic netting down. There were even eye bolts in a few of the trees. I was able to remove those as well. 


These were the larger items of the day that would be left for the DCNR to pick up. It was nice to see that one of my tire piles has already been removed. To the staff of Lehigh Gorge State Park, thank you very much for your help in taking out this trash! 


This was a nice change. Not hard to carry out. I was glad I didn't bring bags with me. I know I would have filled them and it would have been another horrible day of lugging them out of there. 


This was everything I was able to shove into my pack. Tomorrow I think I might try going up to the Rockport Access and work my way down the river. I don't know what I will find there. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment