Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (22-Mar-2016)


Started at the Rockport Access in the Lehigh Gorge State Park on this trip. The goal was not only to collect trash, but was also to scout for tires. I started walking down river on the D&L Trail. In this section there is a steep slope down to the river, without many places to access the bank and portions of the bank are not walkable. The spots that aren't walkable still do have trash, I plan on hitting these areas when I get on the water later this year. 


The first trail I found that took me down to the water had not only washed up trash, there was also discarded items on the trailside.


Walking further down river I came across this sight. I was not expecting to see icicles I know it has been cold the past couple nights, but I didn't think it was cold enough for these. 


Looking back up the river. The opposing bank looked like a much warmer place to be. It was chilly in the shade. 


Just in time for Easter! A river trash bunny! At first I thought it was going to be a harder plastic, like a dog toy. It was not. It was squishy, sticky and kind of gross to the touch.


 Exactly what I dread finding every day. A bag with some sort of brown mystery liquid in it. I reluctantly took it and removed two plastic water bottles from the dry side.


Another Nalgene bottle and another inhaler. I think if you need an inhaler you probably shouldn't be on the upper Lehigh or you should make sure you have your inhaler completely secured. 


More of the same. I have never found glasses this far up the river before. I haven't done many clean-ups up this way, but it was still something new.


This was the second wallet this week and there was something special about it. It is from the mid to late 1970's. It has been on the river longer than I have been alive. From the cards inside I believe I have tracked down the original owner of this one too. I found a current address and I am going to try to write him and see if he wants the contents. There was a Department of Corrections Badge in it from Delaware, that might mean something to him.


This was it for the trip downriver today. It may not look like the garbage bag is that full, but it was heavy. There wasn't a single tire along the sections of bank that I walked. I really thought there would have been. 


The shoes and the rubber hose is what added on the weight. I didn't feel that this was good enough for the day and I headed on up river. 


This fall is not that far up river on the D&L from the Rockport Access. I believe I have put up photos of it before on this blog. I have cleaned this particular section up before. 


 More of the usual river items and then there was a pink beanie cow.


When most people think of the Lehigh Gorge they probably think of whitewater and rapids. This is what I think of. There are long stretches of flat water. I like paddling these sections just as much as the rough water. They allow you to take your time and look around. I really can't wait to get back on the water. 


I spent just as much up river as I did down and this was all that I came up with. This section was much cleaner. That's how it should be I guess. The further up you go the cleaner it should be. In addition to the full pack there was also a bucket lid and a part of a canoe. From the amount of fiberglass canoe pieces I have found on the upper Lehigh, I would suggest not running it in one. 


Again there were not tires. There were pieces of tires in both sections I walked, nothing whole though. I am going to have to start riding a bike to get to some of the more remote areas. I don't mind hiking out it is just really time consuming. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment