Monday, March 28, 2016

Lehigh River (28-Mar-2016)


With the holiday over the weekend I didn't get out for a clean-up. Back to it today though working on the bank just below Lehighton. I waited until the rain had passed and then got out on the trail. 


I got off of the D&L Trail as soon as there was a bank that was walkable. There along with the newly washed up bottles were several old piles and a lot of oil containers.



Oldest find of the day. Tried to look it up, could not find when it was produced. It says "OLD WITCH" near the bottom of the bottle and it may have been a bottle of witch hazel. 


Canada Geese. They were the only waterfowl that were close enough to photograph. There were also mergansers on the opposite bank. I didn't notice when I took this photo, but there are a pile of tires on the island behind the geese. If I can find someone to take them I will try to get those removed as well. 


I went down the bank as far as I could walk it without any trouble. I then went up to and started walking back the D&L.


Stopped and worked on two piles of trash on the way back. The one pictured above was all oil containers and was able to take everything. The other larger pile I had seen before and picked out most of the plastic items from it and again it was mostly oil containers. 


 A short walk back, that was nice for a change.


It is amazing just how many oil containers can be found next to our rivers. We need to do better, clean up what is there and stop those who chose to dump in the future. Together we can make a difference, but we must take action.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment