Friday, March 4, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (4-Mar-2016)


Yesterday I decided against sorting the recyclables, I ended up taking the day off from clean-ups and got a much needed rest. I think the sort is going to wait for a warmer day. Today I kept it close to home and headed over to the Glen Onoco access of the Lehigh Gorge State park. The plan was to see the condition of the flood plain area I had been working on. With the last rain event I am sure the area has changed considerably and there are probably more cans exposed now. I didn't realize how cold it was until I was already on the trail. I was underdressed for the cold and half way to where I wanted to go I started reconsidering the plan.


Looking down the bank to the river I came up with a new plan so I wouldn't have to spend as much time in the cold. It isn't easy getting down to the river in this section, for that reason I hadn't worked on this section between the parking lot and the flood plain upriver. I managed to find a reasonable path down and started collecting. 


On the riverside there were lots of new small ice formations hanging from plants. I thought I was finished seeing anything like this until the end of the year.


So much footwear. Just how many flip flops line our river banks? Fewer and fewer at least every time I walk them. On the right it a Pepsi product carrier. Not the first soft drink carrier I found on the riverbank, but it was the first unbroken one. 


This would have been a cool river find had it been whole. I did not remove this because I did not want broken glass in my pack. I am sure it will be there my next walk through and hopefully I can get it then. 


Nalgene bottle that looks brand new. I am glad that people use reusable bottles, but when you take them on the river make sure they are secured to your boat. I have found more of these than I thought I even would. 



It was only a short clean-up today, yet I still took out more than a pack full. Tomorrow I will be helping some friends selling binoculars and scopes at the Calvary Outdoors Expo in Souderton. I will have a small display up for Taking Out the Trash and if you end up at the expo stop by and say hello. The next clean-up might not be until Monday and I am not sure where I will be heading for the next one. 

If conditions are right tomorrow, I am going to do another recycling day. Really hoping it isn't windy.  
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment