Friday, March 25, 2016

State Gamelands (25-Mar-2016)


Tried again today to help Kelly find some sites that would work for her study. At this site I arrived early and was able to do a thorough job of cleaning up around the parking area. This was another site I had cleaned up last year. Too many people find it acceptable to litter in gamelands parking areas. I am glad that the Game Commission is now utilizing game cameras to catch illegal dumpers and is having success with it. Some day I really hope to pull into them on a regular basis and not have to pick up other peoples junk. This lot had a lot of stuff and a lot of non-recyclables I could not take with me. I do apologize for the lack of landscape photos in this post, but in leaving them out I am trying to protect the potential study areas and the species that live at these specific sites. 


Too much trash and this is just one gamelands parking area. 


When Kelly arrived I packed up the trash and headed to scope out the stream. We had success right away, the stream looked suitable and Kelly found one species she needed to see right away. It is above and is a Two-Lined Salamander. They are a common stream, river and wetland dweller. 


Not long after the Two-Lined, Kelly found this Spring Salamander. This was another species she needed to see to make a determination if this site would be a possible contender in the ones she chooses for the project. It was a very good sign. 


At the second site of the day I noticed this sign and I think it is something that everyone that goes on PA State Gamelands should read. 


The stream at this site was too large for the study. We did find a couple common species along it, both amphibian and insect, but it wasn't anything I haven't posted before. I thought the placement of the beaver lodge above was a little odd. Whatever works for the beavers. 


Collected this from the second site along the trails and around the parking area. 


When we finished scoping out the second site I suggested we check out another area near by. I knew it wasn't suitable for the study, but we could still look for reptiles and amphibians and I could pick up a few more pieces of trash. The calls of Spring Peepers and Wood Frogs directed us to this large pond at the site. 


No Spring Peepers or Wood Frogs could be seen, but adult Red-Spotted Newts were found in abundance swimming around the pond. 


A couple Redback Salamanders were found around the edges. 


This was the small pile from the last stop of the day. In all this trip was much more productive than yesterday. I would also like to mention that if you do go out looking for reptiles and amphibians, you need a fishing license if you are over 16 years of age and there are strict regulations regarding these creatures. You should familiarize yourself with these regulations before going out.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment