Thursday, March 17, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (17-Mar-2016)


Went back to the Lehigh Gorge State Park to continue removing tires this morning. I picked up where I left off and I really wanted to top the 17 tires I removed yesterday. I was there from 9am to 5pm on this trip, a lot longer than last visit and I wasn't able to reach my goal. I still got much accomplished. 


The main focus was tires, I can't ignore everything else though. Cans and bottles were the first other small items I started finding, as I progressed up river though the trash began to get much more diverse.


The first two tires of the day. I made it to these yesterday, I just didn't have time with the thunderstorm to pull them out. 


This was either a children's pool or sand box. It doesn't belong there so I decided to take it out with the tires as well.


Three more tires. Can you see all three? This photo shows what this flood plain is like. With all the small trees in can be hard to maneuver through especially carrying some of the larger tires. 


These two made the first seven of the day.


I couldn't see anymore tires in the immediate area, so I took these up to the trail. This went quickly and without any problems. 


For every tire I collected above I also collected a handful of small items as I was walking it back to the pile. So by the time I had the seven stacked to go up to the trail, I also had this pile of other items. 


I laughed when I read the label on the bottom of this shoe. All man made materials, I think that label on anything would not be a selling point for me. This shoe will most likely look exactly the same for many, many years to come. I am happy to say it won't spend that time on the river bank.


This was the last tire I found in the flood plain area. I would need to do one or two more passes through to say for sure I took out every single one there, I do think I did though with the exception of some that may be buried. 


From the river itself you really can't see all of the trash on the banks. I think this gives a false perception to those who go on whitewater and other boating trips down it. 


I took the last tire up to the pile on the trail and I also took up a full bag and a bucket. Then it was right back down to the river for more. 


Went a long time without seeing a tire and then there were two. Both of them had trees growing in the center and I can't say I was enthused about that. With the first tire I did my best at detaching the fill and trees from the tire and pulled the tire over top of the saplings so the majority of their roots would not be pulled fro the ground. I think I did a fair job with this and most of the trees were still intact, I did much better with the second tire.


There was no way I was going to get this tire from around these trees the same way as the last one. The trees in this one were larger, making it impossible. I had nothing to cut the tire, so I just tried pulling it apart. Yes that sounds crazy and I knew I couldn't do it. To my surprise the tire was dry rotted and I torn right through it. That put the biggest smile on my face. Not only were all of the trees left completely intact, but I had just ripped a tire apart with my bare hands. I felt a lot stronger than I actually am.


I picked up a can that was in the river and found this underneath it. This is called a Hellgrammite and is the larval stage of one of my favorite insects. When this matures into an adult it will then be called a Dobsonfly. Male Dobsonflies have extended mandibles that look intimidating. If you have never seen one before, look them up online they are an awesome insect. I will warn that both larval stages and adults can give a good pinch with their mandibles, it is best not to handle them at all.


The jug on the left had tooth marks in it. From the size I would say either a large dog or bear. Of course I also found another creepy baby doll. I have found if you walk any stretch of riverbank long enough you will find one. I have taken many off of the Lehigh already.


Found three more tires before I called it a day. Only have photos of these two because I had to leave the third one behind. It was around an even larger tree and it was not dry rotted. I will be back with a knife for that one. Neither of the tires above were that easy to remove. The first one still had a portion of the rim in it and it was filled with water. It was not light and got rolled out. The tire on the right was just wedged in and didn't want to leave its resting place.


I didn't come out close to any of the other piles so I had to start a new one. Yes, I also picked up another road cone and a motorcycle tire. I am only counting car and larger tires in my total count so the motorcycle tire will not be added. This pile made it 12 tires for the day and 29 tires since yesterday. 


I over did it. I was tired and I had all of this to carry out along with Penny. In order to get everything back, I had to take some of the items down the trail, drop them off, walk back, get the other items and repeat. It was time consuming, but the best way for me to do it. A little over half way back when I went to get the bag and bucket I left about 50 feet behind me a man picked both items up and started carrying them towards me. I thanked him and told him I could get it, he insisted that he could at least carry the bucket back to the parking lot and I let him and appreciated the help. One of my bags ripped  to the point it was beyond carrying any further and I wasn't looking forward to going back for it. I walked with the man to the parking lot, thanked him again and after dropping everything off at my car, went back with a new bag for the ripped one. All of the bags I am currently using have been used multiple times already. I am just happy that one lasted till about the end of the hike back and I didn't have to go that far. 


This was everything in addition to the tires. I think it was a awesome haul for this long day. 


I had to end the post with this.
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment