Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lehigh Canal: Bethlehem to Allentown (17-June-2016)


Back on the canal in Sand Island, Bethlehem. Thought the trip up to Allentown would be quicker this time after just completing this trip a couple days prior. The main goal of the day was to take trash off of the river and the canal was meant to just be a way to make it up river with only one car. 


Almost right away I started finding items I missed on the last trip. In this particular area there were fishermen the last time and I hugged the other bank when traveling through. 


Spotted this hatchling from a distance and immediately I knew it was a non-native Red-Eared Slider. Native Painted Turtles are similar in shape, the carapace is black, this was very green. I paddled over and this little turtle didn't even move. I picked him up and had a kayaking partner for the rest of the trip. Once caught it is unlawful to release Red-Eared Sliders. They do not belong in our waterways and I will find this one a new home.


I enjoyed paddling this particular section. Cleared out all the visible trash on the last trip, it is nice just being able to paddle strait through sometimes and not having to make frequent trash stops. 


One of many American Bullfrogs I went by. When there isn't as much trash to spot, more wildlife can be seen!


More trash than I had hoped by the portage point, not too bad though. I used the trash can at this point to get rid of the basketball which was full of water and impossible to drain out. I did not have a good way to secure it so disposing of it here was the best option.


Someone had moved things around since I cleaned up around this can, the fishing rod I put in there was gone, but everything else hadn't been picked up. Cleaned up a few items around the can, left the basketball and got back on the canal. 


Plucked this from the bottom of the canal. To me this is just ridiculous waste. Who needs a plastic chicken container that fits in their car's cup holder? We waste so much! 


A Juvenile Snapping Turtle. It was just hanging out in the water and didn't even try swimming away when I paddled up to it. Even a Snapping Turtle this size can draw blood, if you do not know how to handle a turtle like this I would suggest not picking them up at all. A fishing license is required in PA to catch any reptiles or amphibians even if you do release them immediately. Follow the laws and help support our law enforcement by buying a fishing license. 



This section had a little more trash than the lower. Still not bad and not too many trains were moving in the yard next to the canal. The trains can be noisy with screeching breaks on some days. 


The canal in the section where I found this Northern Water Snake basking on overhanging branches is narrow and there is a current. While taking this photo the current pushed me into the branches and the snake did not move at all. It must have really liked that basking spot, at the closest point I was only a couple feet away. 


When reaching for the bottle I noticed this Common Musk Turtle underneath it. Picked up both in the same grab. The bottle went into the boat and the Musk Turtle went right back to where it was in the canal. 


The basket sank since the last visit. I didn't want to, but felt I had to remove it. After finding a dead chicken when moving the blue cloth last time, I just figured that's what it was full of. I was surprised when I lifted it out of the water and fruit, vegetables and eggs came out. The chicken was gone. How does a nice basket like this with all of the food inside end up in the canal? 


This roll up sled was caught in a strainer near the take out. 


Not as much as the last trip, still more than I had hoped to find. I threw the non-recyclables away, packed up the recyclables and headed down to the river to paddle back to Bethlehem. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

2 comments:

  1. Did you find a home for the Red-eared Slider?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, I did find a home for the Red-Ear. Lots of people like the hatchlings, no one wants the adults.

    ReplyDelete