Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lehigh River: Bowmanstown to Lehigh Gap (19-June-2016)


The boat launches were just packed with people. In Lehigh Gap where I left my car the lots for the launch were completely full and people even lined the road parking in the grass. This made me leave my car parked at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center and away from the river. The launch in Bowmanstown was similar so I ended up being dropped off at a small access above it. I can't complain about people using the river, I do too. It does bother me that a number of people using the launches do not have launch permits. I pay every year to use the launches provided by the DCNR or Fish and Boat Commission and it annoying on weekends like this not being able to use those launches because people without permits are. Above is where I ended up launching. 


Out on the water with this view, I forgot about all the people and just enjoyed the moment. Then it was right to work. I paddled across the river and started working on the opposing shore.


It wasn't long before I came across this first large item. Things like this stroller I have to leave. To large and heavy for the kayak. I really do hate leaving anything behind. 


Jumped out on a small flood plain area. I really thought there would be more, yet only found a small bags worth of common river trash. There were also tires, but in this section, like the stroller there is nothing I can currently do about them.


Where I could I kept to the left bank, but in some places I had to keep to the middle with water too shallow on the sides. 


Started seeing cans along the bank and I made another stop. This one concealed a straw buried in the sediment that filled it. First straw I have ever found in an old pull tab can. 


All from one small section of bank. Loaded it up and got back on the water.


Made another stop in an area I know things get caught up often. 


Picked through the debris pile and after a short time had another small pile to be loaded into the boat.


These are casings of Stoneflies, left behind when the Stoneflies emerged as adults. These casing are a common sight along the river and as a water quality indicator stoneflies are a good sight to see along the river. 


Two of my least favorite finds of the day. The bag on the left had food remnants of someones picnic in it. The jar on the right, well you can see it, it had beet juice which had to be emptied.


The chair on the left had been in this particular spot for months. I know this because it could be seen from route 248 which parallels the river in this section. It has been bothering me for sometime and on this trip it would finally be taken care of. Getting to it however, caused me a slight problem. I made a turn in my kayak in moving water, which normally would be fine. With the trash I already had in and on the boat though, it was not. I went right over! I pulled everything to the riverside and didn't loose one single piece of trash.  It worked out for the best. I got cooled down with the swim and was able to rearrange everything on the boat.


Only stopped a couple times after going over. There are a couple fast moving areas just above the gap and I didn't want to repeat what I had done. 


Can you see the small Snapping Turtle hanging out on the bank? It is looking right at you!


Not being parked near the launch I did have to carry everything a bit further than usual at the end. It wasn't bad though. I was happy with the haul, but this section like many others still needs more work. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment