Friday, June 10, 2016

State Gamelands (10-June-2016)


If you are a frequent reader of this blog you have seen this site before. On previous trash collecting trips I didn't get too far out this access road. Today I was trying for much farther than normal. Filled my pack before too long though.


The sides of the access road were recently mowed. This exposed older items that were hidden on my previous hikes out this trail.


The temperature was perfect, the sun was starting to go down and there wasn't much to complain about other than trash. Well, swallowing gnats and the biting flies were somewhat bad. It was nice out though. 


Another pack full taken out of this location. Next week I should be back on the water again. I may make it down to Allentown to work on the lower Lehigh and Canal. That is my hope anyway. The rest of this post is from my first hike today which did not involve trash, but something much, much cooler. 


This is a periodical cicada, specifically Magicicada septendecim. This is a species I did not expect to see this year. Especially not in the area surrounding my house. There was a large emergence of this species in 2013 here and this is a 17 year cicada. That means that the larval stage stays underground for 17 years before emerging as an adult. I was unaware that there were multiple broods in the area and I didn't think I would see one again until 2030. It was a nice insect surprise. 


This is the larval casing the adult emerges from. It is amazing that these insects spend so long underground and only are around for a short time as adults. 


Many tree tops were just loaded with them. On the lower branches I could only get two into frame at once. 


These two are working on making the next generation. This is how many insects mate. Now I just wonder how long it will be before I see this species again. 

I will be away for the weekend again and I am not sure when I will be able to get my next post up. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment