Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Tuscarora State Park (3-June-2016)


With a lot to do before I left for Montgomery Co. for the Perkiomen Sojourn the next day, I only did a short walk at Tuscarora State Park. With the multiple clean-ups I have already completed this year at Tuscarora I didn't expect to find much trash, but as always there were new items. 


On one of the benches I found a packed full popcorn bucket. Not sure who goes to the movies then decides to go drinking at a state park with the left over popcorn, looks like someone does. By the lake there were only a couple bait containers and nothing much more.


All the boats were out at the rental house, no one was there to rent them out though. Didn't see any operating hours when I passed by either. 


I had thrown the popcorn bucket and some of its contents out instead of carrying it around. So that and these items were it. Not a lot, it was a short hike and I have worked on this area more than once already this year. 


After Tuscarora I headed down to Montgomery Co. There with the help of Tyler Sacks I worked on a small clean-up of the Macoby Creek. We ended up collecting a little more than what I took out Tuscarora earlier in the day. Doing small clean-ups like this on smaller streams makes sure that more items don't make it to the larger streams and rivers. In this case items can be washed down from the Macoby to the Perkiomen Creek, then to the Schuylkill, potentially ending up in the Delaware and eventually could wash into the ocean. Every little bit matters and the small creeks matter just as much as the rivers.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment