Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lehigh River: Glen Onoco to Lehighton (18-June-2016)


Normally I try to avoid State Parks on weekends. It completely slipped my mind when I decided to do this run starting at the Glen Onoco Access of the Lehigh Gorge State Park. The only thing I was thinking of was the shore opposite of where I removed all the tires earlier in the year. It needed to be cleaned and last year when I worked on this section there were parts of it that were just a mess. Pulling into the access I found what I try to avoid, crowds of people, almost every parking space filled and a complete overuse of a natural area that needs more of our respect and less impact from our traffic. Once I got out on the river things were better. Very few were heading to the water, most to the falls and the trails going up the mountain. I picked up some pieces of trash underneath the rail bridge then paddled away from the madness of the area on a weekend. 


Just below the access is the first set of rapids. Happy not to have much trash at this point. Paddling without a skirt I tried my best not to get too much water in my boat. The left side of the river here is the floodplain area where I removed the majority of tires from this year. 


In a slight turn below the rapids there is always trash after high water. Bottles, shoes and other common river finds were scattered throughout the bank.


This was something new. Guessing this was a costly loss. Portable water purifiers generally aren't cheap. Always new surprises when picking up trash. 


This wasn't nearly as bad as last year. In the same area I removed two full garbage bags of non-recyclables and had to end the trip early. I think I can say that last years clean-ups made some difference at least. 


I don't know why, but this channel around one of the islands is one of my favorite places on the Lehigh. The Nesquehoning Creek enters the river in this section and so does diverted acid mine drainage. Still I like the peacefulness of paddling through. 


Clinging to the bank I found this Luna Moth. It looks as though so far it has had a hard life. After snapping some shots I placed it back where I found it and paddled on. 


This was easy to remove from the tree, but once attached to the back of the boat it did keep catching on things as I was paddling. It took several adjustments to get it secured just right so no part of it was dragging. 


A freshly emerged Dragonfly. Still waiting for its wings to harden wasn't able to fly and needed some help out of the water. Placed it as far up the bank as possible. Dragonflies love to eat insects we consider pests, they are great to have around!


Whitewater Bucket! I really don't like these things. Last year I did write the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and asked if they could pass a law that required all whitewater operations to label all of their stuff. I don't think that is ever going to happen, but if they did, specific blame could be given to the right company for these. 


Made this stop to check out the flood plain on the right. Didn't know what I was going to find, ended up being very happy I stopped. 


In the same debris pile, about three feet away from one another I noticed these to blades sticking out. I knew right away they were kayak paddles and I thought there was no way they could be full and unbroken. I worked on wiggling them out and to my amazement both were fully intact. After breaking a paddle last year I needed a new back up and the blue one was the perfect size for me!


Also found three canoe paddles in the same flood plain, these two and another that was bent.


The new bridge in Jim Thorpe is almost complete. Wonder when the deconstruction of the old one is going to start? 


With about as much as I could carry I only stopped for buckets the rest of the trip. 


Minus the trash, what a stunning view. 


Finished the trip in Leighton and although I love being on the water, with all this trash I was glad the trip was over. 


Pretty good haul for the day. I still can't believe I found not one, but two nice kayak paddles. Also, take notice to all of the small buckets. They should not be in our river!
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment