Thursday, June 16, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (14-June-2016)


Back again to the Lehigh Gorge State Park in search of tires. The goal for the day was to remove just one of the tires I didn't pick up previously because they were buried or for some other reason were not easily taken out. It was hot, the goal was set really low and I was sure I was going to complete it. 


Like my one hike in Nesquehoning last week, the Periodical Cicadas were everywhere here too. Here there were enough that I was even hit by several in flight. Some might be creeped out by that I just think it is amazing that there are so many.  


As always the downriver view from this site. From here I started walking up the dry channels of the flood plain. 


There were small items, not many though. I have done a pretty thorough job of cleaning out these channels. There will probably always be places I miss though.


This was probably the most interesting of all of the trash find of the day. It is an old rectangular flashlight. Are these still made? 


Not exactly sure how I missed this tire on other trips. It was fairly large and I was sure I had gone through the exact area before. It was an easy pull and it completed my goal. I put it in the main channel and continued on for more. 


Looking up river above the flood plain. The river is currently low. I think this is the best time to run the river by kayak, absolutely no raft traffic on the upper sections when it is this low. 


Only about a half a tire, it was another easy grab. Took this and placed it in the main channel to be picked up on the way back. 


A tire and a half and over a pack full of trash. Hiked back through the cicadas to the road. 


This was everything. Packed it all up and set off for home. Decided that the next day would be working on the Lower Lehigh and I did just that. Those posts will be up soon. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment