Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lehigh River: Lehigh Gap to Walnutport (21-June-2016)


Set out for the Lehigh River again and this time with some help. Andrew Gaerthe came along for the paddle between Lehigh Gap and Walnutport. This is not that long of a trip, yet this section can get trashy. I have already done a couple clean-ups this year that over lap pieces of this section, but I was sure we would find more and of course there was.


Andrew going in for a piece of chair. I would like to point out that Andrew is not wearing a Personal Floatation Device. It is his choice, but it really is better to be safe and wear one. 


Trash... Always more trash. 


One of my favorite river birds, this Green Heron let me get close for some good photos. I even got to watch it hunting and it caught a small fish right in front of me. 


We had to paddle back upriver a little bit to get to navigable channels on a small area of rapids in this river bend. Andrew ended up taking one of the navigable channels, I ended up pushing my way down the rocks with my paddle to get to a piece of trash.  


 Didn't take the easiest route, made it to and picked up this lawn chair though.


One of the best views of the year!



Andrew spotted this from half way across the river and directed me towards it. I confirmed it was what he thought it was and he paddled down the channel behind me. 


Who throws a Power Wheels into the river? If I was alone or if this was at the start of the trip, this would have been something I would have had to leave. With Andrews help though we were able to get it off the river. Each of us grabbed an end and placed it over the cockpit of my boat. The take out wasn't far down river, but was on the other side. I walked my boat down and across and I fell a couple times, but everything stayed in the boat.


The trip was short, but we picked up a bunch of trash! Thank you Andrew for coming along and helping out!
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment