Monday, October 3, 2016

A Turtle and a Tiny Bit of Trash (26-Sept-2016)


I never know what I am going to come across while out working on clean-ups. I always hope to see wildlife and not much trash and on most trips I see a lot of trash and not much wildlife. This one was a pretty good trip. The turtle above is an Eastern Box Turtle and is just about the best thing I could find while hiking trails. In Pennsylvania the Eastern Box Turtle is a protected species, their biggest threats include habitat loss, road fatalities and over collection. Since they are a protected species I have chosen to omit the location in which it was found. Even with their protected status there are those who still collect these turtles and illegally sell them and this is the reason I choose not to share locations of where I find them. If you ever see an Eastern Box Turtle trying to cross a road, please stop and help it on its way across. It is best to move them in the direction they were headed and off of the road thirty feet. 


In addition to the turtle I found some interesting fly species as well. Like many insects I can not tell you what specific species these are. I am just adding them to the post because I found them to be pretty cool.


I have probably passed by these same species hundreds of times on walks and never took the time to look at them close up. They are spectacular.


I was hiking for hours and this was all the trash I found along the trailside. I wish every place could be like this!

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment