Thursday, October 27, 2016

Beltzville State Park (21-Oct-2016)


It has been some time since I payed a visit to Beltzville State Park. With all of the low water I've seen in our rivers and streams I shouldn't have been surprised that the lake was so low. The water level in the lake is controlled by the Amry Corps of Engineers and has recently had controlled releases to help regulate the water levels in the Delaware River. It is part of a series of reservoirs that help to do this. With portions of the lake bed exposed I took this as an opportunity to get some of the trash that would normally be out of my reach. The photo above is at the Pine Run Boat Launch where I started this trash hike.


I worked my way up the channel picking cans, bottles, sunglasses and other objects out of the muddy lake bed. For the most part I was walking on solid ground, near the waters edge though some places were deep mud. 


Taking a short detour off of the lake bed I checked out a lakeside trail that I have noticed in the past is a problem spot. Beer cans and chicken liver containers seem to suggest most of the items thrown into the brush here is from someones night fishing outing. There were two specific spots that were really littered with trash. Both I have cleaned up on previous trips, so this was all new at least from this past summer. 


A couple times I watched a small flock of American Goldfinches fly down and land near the waters edge. It looked like they were foraging for something in the leaf litter and exposed aquatic plants. 


After going under the bridge for Pohopoco drive I came to short trails leading down to the lake from another small access. It was on the trailside here that I found a ripped open garbage bag full of alcohol containers, picnicking items and of course diapers. This one bothered me. I am sure that the DCNR employees who mow this area would have seen this and did nothing about it. If it was taken care of before it was ripped open it would have been a really simple pick up.


With a nearly full bag and pack I decided it best not to go back along the lake shore, but to cross Pohopoco and walk the access road to my car. In doing so I cam across this on the side of the first parking lot I had to go through. The smell was horrific. I think it was probably beef ribs and I did my best to empty the contents before stuffing the tub with a grocery bag of trash I had in addition to everything else. Once sealed again this tub was not reopened.


This was all from the first round. Non-recyclables were put in the trash cans at the launch, recyclables loaded in my car. I then went to explore more of the lakebed and went in the other direction away from the launch. 


Items in these areas a spread out and can be hard to find. Other than in coves there really weren't any places where the trash accumulates. I just wonder how much is on the bottom in the deeper portions of the lake that never are exposed. 


The views make trash collecting not so bad. I love the fall colors on the opposing shore!


On clean-ups I often find freshwater mussel shells, but seldom do I find a living one. With the low waters I am sure there are some Raccoons that are feasting on these bivalves. I found many in the mud at the waters edge. 


This was it for the second round. I was glad I didn't find any more non-recyclables. The trash can I used was packed when I was done. There is so much new ground to cover at Beltzville I will be back for more clean-ups!
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment