Monday, October 3, 2016

Delaware Canal State Park: Where the Lehigh Joins the Delaware (29-Sept-2016)


This is a location I wish I could get to more often. The rivers here see a lot of recreational use and a lot of things wash up that have floated down from up river. By foot I have limited access to some of the bank in this section and there are a few places along the bank that I would only go to by boat. If you decide to go to this location I will caution that some places along the river in Easton are not safe. Even visiting the Delaware Canal State Park I would suggest sticking to the D&L Trail and not venturing down to the river alone. Often there are encampments along the river and over the years I have seen individuals shooting up and others engaged in very peculiar behavior on the riverbank in this area.   


This view into the canal is never a good start to a clean-up. This really bothers me and there is nothing I can do about it. I can't retrieve anything on foot and boats are prohibited here due to the close proximity to the dam. 


Some of you have probably never seen one of these before. It is called a fish ladder and it serves an important purpose for the Lehigh River. The dams on the Lehigh prevent certain fish species like the American Shad from going up the river to spawn. Fish ladders allow them a passage way around. American Shad, Lampreys, American Eels all have more complex life cycles which utilize both fresh and salt water. Dams can completely block these species out of rivers where they should be. I personally believe that dams like those along the Lehigh River that do not produce power or serve any purpose other than recreation should be removed. 


This graffiti gave me a laugh. Right next to it is trash. It would be nice if the individual who wrote this demonstrated their caring for the Earth by picking up the trash around the bridge instead of writing this on it. Actions can speak louder than words and I personally don't see this statement as genuine when I find trash around it. 


Picked up three lures along the Lehigh just sitting atop rocks. I found this odd, they were definitely placed this way and not just dropped by someone fishing.


As I always do when I hit this area on foot, I took the bank of the Lehigh down to the Delaware then looped back up to the trail on the other side of the bridge. 


Piles like this are common here. It seems groups or families enjoy a snack or meal down by the river then just leave all of their waste behind. I understand why the DCNR does not have a dumpster or more trash cans by the parking lot, but I think it would help to reduce trash like this at this location.  


The first bag of the day. I separated out the non-recyclables and put them in the only trash can available. There wasn't much room in it so I knew for the rest of the day I had to limit myself on picking up non-recyclables. Loaded the rest into my car then hit the D&L Trail. 


The main goal for the rest of the day was to check out a spot downriver that I, with others, have worked on several times already this year. I wanted to see the condition after a couple months. On the way I cleaned up along the trail and made a stop under the rail bridges in the photo above. At the bridge stop, I did see what looked to be an active encampment and avoided it.


When I arrived at the portion of bank I wanted to check out I really wasn't surprised. Trash as far down the bank as I could see. Even the opposing side of the river looked bad and normally in this section trash tends to wash up on the PA side.


Looks like someone had a fishing party at this spot. Beer cans and several chicken liver containers. I want people to get out and enjoy the river, fish and have fun, but respect the river. Random night patrols in the summer by the DCNR or PFBC could cut down on both encampments and sites like this.


With two sacks full I had just about all I could carry and it was time to head back. 


You may have to click to enlarge this photo in order to see the small Common Snapping Turtle in it. It is the near the center of the photo at the upper edge of the dark green patch of aquatic plants underwater. Other than birds that were too far off to photograph this was the only wildlife I came across. 


Loaded up the recyclables in my car and stuffed everything else in the lone trash can in the parking lot. I really wish I lived closer, there is so much more to be done in this area. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment