Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Hickory Run State Park: Shades of Death Trail (9-Oct-2016)


Headed to Hickory Run on this cold and windy day. Parked at Sand Spring Lake and hiked towards the main office on the Shades of Death Trail. 


On the dam at Sand Spring Lake I found the remnants of several turtle nests. These may have been dug up by a predator or the turtles may have hatched and emerged. All looked like a predator had dug them out at some point. These nests could be either Painted or Snapping Turtle, most likely painted. 


This is where the lake flows into Sand Spring Run. I crossed here then took trails down stream. 


I have never seen any of the dams along the run drained. Usually this area is a fairly deep pool. With it drained I was able to get trash that normally I could only see through the crystal clear water. 


Most of the items on the stream bed I was able to get to like this can. There were some items by the dam that I couldn't make it to. The mud was just too deep. 


The falls along the run were pretty sad looking. As I have said in other posts we have had a lack of rain this year and all of our waterways are at extremely low levels. 


I wasn't too pleased when I found this. How exactly does a state park treat a nest. I believe the park should be protecting all native wildlife within it's borders not removing it in any way. People should know before they take any trail through the woods that there are hazards, that is part of the experience. 


This is always my favorite part of this hike. The trails really squeezes in at the bottom. Every time I take Penny on this hike she tries going through the same time I do, it really is awkward. Not far past this spot I crossed the stream and hiked back a small unmarked trail. The Shades of Death Trail just had too many people on it and Penny was being difficult (Barking at everyone passing by).


I spotted these at the beginning of the hike and decided to save them for last. There are trash cans and dumpsters in close walking distance to both of these which were discarded around the Sand Spring Lake parking area. Why people can't use the proper receptacles is beyond me.


This was it. Didn't make it all the way to the office, but I did cover most of the trail. Recyclables were loaded into my car, everything else went into the dumpster.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment