Monday, October 3, 2016

Locust Lake State Park (1-Oct-2016)


It had been awhile since I last visited Locust Lake State Park and on a dreary, rainy day, I didn't feel like going far from home. I took my normal path through the park, first over the dam and down to the pond below the lake, followed by taking the main path around the lake. There was much less trash than I was anticipating and that is awesome!  





The last few times I have done my walk around this I have been finding much less trash than I did just last year. Normally there are a lot of bait containers, fishing line and bottles between the rocks. 


This natural dam on Locust Creek had the average amount of trash I normally find in it. 


A couple insects were just about all the wildlife I saw on this trip. Above is a Syrphid Fly. Its coloration mimics a bee, but its wings eyes and other features give it away as a fly. 


I could not manage to get a good angle for this photo. On the Goldenrod is an Ambush Bug with camouflaged coloring that works well with the plant it is on. 


Soon the docks will be pulled in for the winter.


After looping around the lake I hit an old access road that doesn't see much use. Picked up a couple items along it, but this portion of the hike was really just to enjoy the woods in the fog. 


Later in the year I will do a more thorough job around the park. I was pleased that this was all I found on this trip around. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment