Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Beltzville State Park (4-Nov-2016)


Took the Christman Trail back to the Wild Creek channel in Beltzville State Park. I thought this area might have more trash on the bottom than most places around the lake because the rope swing here draws a lot of people and with them, a lot of trash in the summer. From what I could see I believe this may be as low as the channel will go as long as there is a flow coming in from the creek. I began to pick cans and bottles out of the mud right away, I was limited to how close I could get to the water due to the depth of the mud. 


Cans were the most abundant item on the lake bed. Nearly every one was full of mud and had to be broken open and emptied out. This task would have been much easier if I could had easy access to the water.


This adult Red-Spotted Newt was in one of the first cans I opened up. As the lake was emptied it must have sought shelter where there was remaining water. I helped it get back into the lake. 


 In addition to the newt I also found two crayfish in other cans. I tossed them back in the lake as well.


These older cans with pull tab tops were in the water near the edge and I went for them. My feet sunk in about a foot into the mud when retrieving them and they were the last cans I pulled out of the water. 


I walked as far up the channel as I could. I was blocked from going any further by a rock face that I couldn't climb up and I couldn't cross the stream without getting soaked. In the photo above there were deep pools around the large rocks. They had trash in them and I had no way of getting it out. I find it extremely frustrating when I can see trash and I know I can't pick it up. 


Along the normal water line in the above channel I found a few pieces of footwear.


This is not the first flip flop that I have found like this. I wonder just how many Muskies attacked this one. So far I have only seen darker flip flops, black and gray, torn up like this. 


The sticker is still intact, it can't be that old. This doesn't bother me as much as all of the other trash, I am sure the owner had no intention of loosing it or leaving it behind. 


Walking the channel towards the lake I found a couple areas where trash collected on the bottom. These were mostly places where there was a change of topography of the lake bed that acted like catches. This pile was from one of those spots. 


When I paddled this I always thought it was deeper. Only the channel to the left really has much depth to it. In this area cans and bottles were scattered throughout. 


At first I was annoyed when I saw this bag hanging from the sign. When I looked through the contents it didn't bother me as much. Inside were all items that someone had picked off the bottom. They at least gathered the items, would have been nice if they took it out. 


The largest find of the day. It looked to be a raft. This too was filled with mud and took a lot of shaking to get everything out. This didn't fit in my bag and I was left with finding a way to attach it to my pack and it dragged behind me on the way out. 


This was almost everything. I also filled up my pack on the way out. The burlap sack was heavy and it wasn't the easiest hike out. 


Everything collected from the channel. Half of a skateboard was about the most surprising thing that I found. Everything else was the average lake trash. How much more is further down in the depths of the lake? 


Before heading home I stopped at the Pine Run Launch to get rid of the non-recyclable items. I was glad I did. The lake was lower than my last visit here and I was able to pick up more trash and there was something big flying over the water. 


Didn't pick up much at this spot, I was just here not too long ago though. 


This Bald Eagle was the big thing flying over the water. The sound of crows directed me to it and when it landed I was happy to see this...


A second eagle! Hopefully they are a pair. I don't think there has been a nest around Beltzville in recent years, it would be awesome if they are sticking around and make one. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment