Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Nesquehoning (28-Oct-2016)


Stayed close to home for this clean-up and hit some trails not far away. This is an area I have been to and cleaned up many times. It generally has the normal trailside trash and sometimes I will come across a party site.


Along the access road there were a number of Shaggy Mane Mushrooms. To my knowledge this was the first time I have come across this species and they were pretty cool looking and every one looked slightly different. 


This was one of two small reservoirs I hiked out to. The colors are already starting to fade and I think soon all but the evergreens will be bare. 


It was a cold and windy day, so I didn't think I would find any amphibians or reptiles out and about except for maybe a Red-Spotted Newt. This Green Frog was out and looked like it shouldn't be. Its exposed skin looked dried out and at first I wasn't even sure it was alive. It did burry itself under when I got too close though. 


I did think I would find Red-Spotted Newts. This is one amphibian I can find year round at a few locations. 


This moss was growing on a rock in one of the streams I followed. I don't know the species and there really isn't anything special about it, I just liked the photo. 


Came upon this young White-tailed buck walking across a small field. I watched it for awhile and it didn't even know I was there. Then Penny noticed it and started barking. It looked at us and must have decided it was best to run away because that's what it did next.


Hiking out one of the trails, two Golden-crowned Kinglets came in to take a look at Penny and I. They stuck around the trailside for a few minutes then flew off back into the woods. 


I was shocked to find this Black Racer on such a cold day. It was sunning itself on an exposed portion of the trailside. This snake allowed me to get closer to it than most Racers do. I think since it was so cold it just wasn't up for moving that much. 


By the end of my hike I had just over a backpack full of trash. Most everything picked up was new from this past year, like I said at the beginning of the post this is an area I have cleaned many times before. I will probably do more hiking in the surrounding area as winter approaches. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment