Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Pine Run Reservoir (29-Oct-2016)


Went to Wilkes-Barre to help some relatives with getting their house ready to sell. On my way home I made a stop at Pine Run Reservoir which is about half way between Wilkes-Barre and Mountain Top.   I really wasn't looking to do a clean-up, just a hike. However with what I found when I got to the reservoir the hike didn't happen and I spent all of my time picking up a huge mess. 


This was the first large pile I came across. I knew from the start I wouldn't be able to clean up everything so I focused on the recyclable items that I know I can easily dispose of. 


At this first spot I only left behind burnt, rusty or biodegradable items. Everything else was recyclable. Getting it to this point took a good amount of time and to conserve space I crushed every can. 


Taking a closer look around a portion of the dam I had already passed by I found another large pile buried in the brush. Again I focused on getting the recyclables out. 


The bag and bin were items found along the trail to the reservoir and everything from the first spot cleaned up. All the cans and bottles to the right were from the spot in the photo just above this one. Again this took time to crush all of the cans and once done I had just about everything I could carry. 


I was not able to get to the bottom of the dam and from the top I could see it was just as bad down there. I will be back to work on this spot soon. 


Like many places this one would be so much cooler if people just respected it and didn't leave their trash behind. 


On the way out I had to carry this stuff across four lanes of speeding traffic. I can't say that doing so was fun. With everything loaded in the car I set off for home. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment