Friday, November 11, 2016

Tuscarora State Park (7-Nov-2016)


On Sunday I did go out and hiked trails at Nescopeck State Park. I only picked up a handful of trash, so I decided not to do a post on it. For this trip I was limited on time so I kept it close to home and went to Tuscarora State Park. I had received a text earlier in the day inviting me up to a banding station to watch Saw Whet Owls being captured and banded. This is why I only had time for a short clean-up. At Tuscarora I just walked the high traffic areas around the beach and along the shore. 


In no time I was picking up trash and most was in places along the shore where I normally find it.


Penny tried sniffing out who left this one behind. No surprise, she couldn't tell me who did it. 


For this item I had to tie Penny up and inch my way out on this downed tree to retrieve it. I was not thrilled when I pulled it out of the water. It was stinky. I had to look at the jug for a minute to determine what it was used for and what had been in it. The top was cut and half of a water bottle was shoved upside down in the top. It was a home made bait container and inside were minnows that had been in there for a long time and were no longer whole. I pried the water bottle out and dumped out the smelly contents. 


I was able to hit the majority of high use areas along the lake. Not a whole lot of trash, still good for the time I put into it. Threw out the trash, loaded up the recyclables and it was off to go get ready for the banding station. The next post will be about the owls! 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment