Thursday, November 3, 2016

Big Pocono State Park (1-Nov-2016)


On my way to pick up a canoe given to me for next years clean-ups, I stopped for a short trash hike at Big Pocono State Park. I was limited on time and chose to start at the top working my way down and  around the Indian Trail which is a small loop. 


No matter the weather or time of year the views from the top of Big Pocono are always spectacular.  Unless the top is covered in fog. This is what you see from the North side of the mountain. 


The start of the Indian Trail. It is a fairly easy hike down to a lower lookout then loops back around. 


Like on many trails there were not large piles of trash, just the occasional can or bottle that someone discarded off the side. These kinds of clean-ups would be much easier if those who litter just left the items on the trail. 


Returning to the trail after picking up an item thrown off into the woods I almost stepped on this Garter Snake. It was coiled up on a leaf and it would have made an amazing photo, but I was too close when I noticed it. Before I could raise my camera it was slithering away from me. It was cold up on the mountain and like the Black Racer the other day I didn't anticipate finding any reptiles at all. Garter Snakes can often be seen in fall though and seem to tolerate the colder temperatures a little better than other species. 


This is the view looking east from the lookout on the Indian Trail. 


Back at the top of the mountain this was the Southern facing view. 


Before leaving I stopped at the compass and pointed it in the direction I was headed. If you decide you want to visit Big Pocono State Park and this is something you want to see you have to make it there before winter comes. In winter the roads in the park are closed and this is wrapped up. 


This was everything from the trail. After loading it into the car it was off to Stroudsburg to pick up the canoe. The canoe needs some work, but it will be ready for next year and will allow me to do more larger on-the-water clean-ups.
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment