Saturday, November 12, 2016

Nescopeck State Park (8-Nov-2016)


Went back to Nescopeck State Park for this post. Over the weekend I did a short hike there and found new trails I had never been on before. I didn't have time to take them on the weekend, so I was happy to return. I started on the Farmstead Trail with no real idea of what to expect. 


A family member told me about this portion of the park a few weeks ago. The trails here don't connect to the main parking area and that is the reason I never knew they were there before I was told. I found four pieces of old farm equipment off the side of the trail and although I couldn't tell what some of them actually did, they were still pretty cool. 


This piece had awesome all metal wheels even with metal tread. I wonder how long these have been sitting there? They all look like with a little bit of work they could all be used again.


There were no big piles of trash along the trails. Just single items here and there.


The Farmstead Trail is about half through uncut fields and half through wooded areas. I was hoping to see more birds with these two different habitat types, nothing was flying or calling though. 


By the stream I ran into the Lupine Loop and took it, diverting away from the Farmstead Trail for awhile. Half the loop followed the stream and half was through the woods. 


Just like the Farmstead Trail, no piles of trash, just the occasional piece.


Throughout this section the stream is calm and looks fairly deep in some places. Along the trail there were remnants of old foundations on the creekside and pieces of old bridges. 


There were several places where it was evident there used to be a bridge across the stream. This was the only one where the cables were still up. At this point this bridge is not certainly not one that can be crossed.   


On the wooded section of the Lupine Loop I noticed this old foundation. Inside were a couple old bed frames and outside even a kitchen sink. Generally when I find a foundation like this they tend to be filled with newer trash. It was nice to find one with only the contents of the old house that once stood there.


After finishing the Lupine Loop it was back to the Farmstead Trail. There are a lot of off shoots to this trail and portions that connect to one another. I took as much of it as I could, even taking some of the accesses out to the road. 


The most trash was found near one of the parking lots. Wasn't much, but it was a pain to get. I can't say that I enjoy removing trash from Green Briar.


Back to the car I snapped this photo then dumped out the trash. 


About a pack full. Overall I was really happy with how little trash were along these two trails. I anticipated finding much more than this. In all this turned out to be a really nice day of hiking. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment