Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Nescopeck State Park (12-Nov-2016)


On this excursion I went back to Nescopeck State Park to hike trails I haven't been on before. I parked at an access off of Honey Hole Road where the bridge above can be seen from the entrance. Before hitting the trails I took a side path up stream on the creek the bridge crosses. 


From the bridge itself I could see a beaver dam and that is what drew me to take the side path. 


Before getting to the dam I found a fishing spot that had a bit of trash around it. This would end up being the trashiest spot of the day.


The beaver dam looked like it still had beavers maintaining it. When I got to it I could see that the trail continued, but it was on the other side of a small channel that was filled by the dam. I couldn't go any further and headed back to the main trail.


Back on the main trail I met a hunter who had just arrived and walked with him for until we made it to the Wood Frog Way Loop. I always try to talk to hunters that are in the areas I am cleaning up. When I do I ask what direction they are headed in so I can respect their space and take a path away from where they plan to be. He was trying to harvest a turkey and when we got to the loop I wished him the best of luck and took the path away from him.


I found no trash along the loop and on the way out decided to take the smaller path down the stream. There I found a few items, but also found myself surrounded by small game hunters. It was then that I decided it was time to leave the woods to the hunters and head back to the car. I have no objection to hunting and I believe it is necessary without large predatory species which we have lost in Pennsylvania. When there are too many hunters in the woods though, it is not a place I want to be.


Got to take some new trails and found that the area is relatively clean. It was a good day, a little shorter than I wanted to do though. I probably won't be back to this area for at least a year for a clean-up. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment