Friday, November 11, 2016

Mauch Chunk Lake (5-Nov-2016)


This was just a short paddle at Mauch Chunk Lake. I paddled to the opposite shore from the launch and started at the same point I did last time, on this trip I headed up the lake. There normally isn't much trash on the upper portion. Most items make their way down the lake towards the dam. So I knew I wouldn't find much, but I still wanted to cover this area.  


The water conditions were much different than my last paddle. Then there was no wind and the lake was completely still. On this trip there was lots of wind and a lot of chop. The above picture was from one of the calmest point in the paddle across the lake. 


There really were no surprises with this clean-up. Everything was the average lakeside trash. Fishing gear and cans were the main items of the day. 


Someone lost their whole bag of fishing gear. The scissors and sinkers were still in good condition and will see use again. All of the rest was headed to the garbage. 


After picking through a fairly long stretch of lake shore I headed back. The colors are starting to fade in this valley now and soon winter will be here and I won't be able to get out on the water. 


I knew it wasn't going to be a large haul. Still I did remove something and was able to get some things on the exposed lake bed that I wouldn't have seen from the kayak when the water is at the normal levels. Threw out the trash and packed up the recyclables and headed home. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment